Tiger store number 500 in Nothing Hill
February 03, 2015
Danish Tiger’s success continues as store number 500 opens in Notting Hill
Over the last few years, Tiger has experienced almost explosive growth. The Danish retail concept offers a quirky, unique and ever-changing assortment of own-designed products at surprisingly affordable prices. With two to three stores opening every week, store number 453 opened in New York in May. Now, just three-and-a-half months later, Tiger has opened store number 500. This Saturday Phil-ip Bier, Tiger’s Joint Venture Partner in South England, welcomed the customers to the 180 square metre Tiger store in London’s trendy Notting Hill neighbourhood:
“My team is so excited about opening a store in Notting Hill, which is an area that epitomizes sophisticat-ed London shopping. Danish design is immensely popular in England. Tiger’s strength is that we have dis-covered a niche that allows us to offer Danish, quirky design at surprisingly affordable prices – that and the fact that it’s fun to shop at our stores because our products are surprising and unique. The opening of store number 500 went really well with queue, choir and cake.”
Dramatic growth: 2-3 new stores every week
Tiger’s store number 500 is the 35th in greater London and South East England where Tiger employ more than 500 people. After 10 years of working with Tiger in South England, Philip Bier’s knowledge of the market and of what customers want is broad: “Our British customers are keen on Tiger and the quirky, unpretentious design that surprises and inspires them. Shopping at our stores is a unique experience because we make design items accessible – right in the middle of the city where people live and work. So the potential for opening more Tiger stores in Eng-land is enormous.”
Tiger’s CEO Xavier Vidal is proud of having reached store number 500 so quickly:
“The opening of our Notting Hill store is an important milestone in Tiger’s development. The fact that we managed to reach store number 500 in very short time says something about our solid strategy, which builds on a unique and authentic concept that customers in 25 countries have welcomed with open arms.”
For further information, please contact:
Jakob Stig Jørgensen
- Tiger opened its first store in Copenhagen in 1995 and has since grown to a chain of 500 Danish design stores in 25 countries. The chain opens 2-3 stores per week on average.
- Tiger opened in England in 2005. The Notting Hill store is store number 53 in Great Britain. Tiger Retail UK Ltd. is a joint venture between Zebra Ltd. and Philip Bier, who, in addition to being Managing Director, owns 50 per cent of Tiger Retail UK Ltd.
- In 2014, Zebra Ltd.’s revenue increased by 44 % to DKK 2,464 million (DKK 1,711 million in 2013)
- In 2014, EBITDA before special items increased by 50 % to DKK 364 million (DKK 242 million in 2013)
- In 2014, EBITDA-margin before special items was 14.8 %, up from 14.2 % in 2013
- In 2014, profit before special items, after tax, increased by 68 % to DKK 196 million (DKK 117 million in 2013)
- Tiger designs more than 50 per cent of its products at its headquarters in Copenhagen, Denmark, and has won a number of international design prizes including the Good Design® Award, the IF Design Award, and the CA Communication Art Award.
- Tiger stores offer a quirky, unique and ever-changing assortment of own-designed products at surprisingly affordable prices based on the idea that good design should be available to everyone.